Shapefile: National Petroleum Reserve - Alaska Boundary Formerly known as the Naval Petroleum Reserve No. 4, the 23-million acre area on Alaska's North Slope has a history of nearly 100 years of petroleum exploration. In 1923, mindful of the land's conceivable petroleum value, President Harding set aside these 23 million acres as an emergency oil supply for the U.S. Navy. In 1976, in accordance with the Naval Petroleum Reserve Production Act, the administration of the reserve was transferred to the Department of the Interior, more specifically the Bureau of Land Management, and was renamed to what is now known as the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska (NPR-A). The NPRA Boundary (arcs) are a composite of 6 sets of arcs that define the exterior boundary of the reserve.
No warranty is made by the Bureau of Land Management as to the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of these data for individual use or aggregate use with other data.